my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Tuesday 29 January 2013

J for Jenna

I recently visited our local branch of The Range to buy some ribbon to finish off a crochet project I had been working on, and while I was there I spotted a whole shelf of these brown board letters. They had obviously only just come in because they were all in good condition and hadn't been knocked about and battered and              
as soon as I saw this J I thought of my little baby great granddaughter. She is almost 11 weeks old now and can be coaxed into smiling at us.

To start with I gave it a couple of coats of gesso and while it dried
I stamped the little angel images onto tissue paper with  black Archival ink and coloured them very lightly with pink coloursoft pencils. I haven't got any pale pink paint so I mixed a tiny amount of Fresco Finish Rusty Rose with quite a lot of white to get the shade I wanted and used it to paint the sides. Next I painted the front and back white and then stamped some flourishes with the pink paint. I used an Adirondak Willow paint dabber to add some colour through a piece of sequin waste, and stamped some bits of a music stamp for more background interest. I tore out the parts of the angel images that I wanted and glued them on with matte multi medium. When all was dry I gave it a thin wash of watered down gesso. I used a Krylon gold pen on all the edges. The chipboard letters to spell her name were painted with a gold paint but I thought they looked a bit dull so I used Versamark ink and clear embossing powder to give them a nice gloss finish which doesn't really show in my photo. I gave it all two coats of craft varnish for protection and finished with a ribbon bow and some paper flowers coloured to match. All the stamps I used on this are from Crafty Individuals.  Jenna isn't really old enough to appreciate this but her mum liked it.

I am going to enter this at Make It Monday - Anything Goes.

Thank you for taking a look and for your lovely comments. Jean


8 comments:

  1. Beuatiful Jean. I bet Melissa was pleased, and one day Jenna will be too. Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful and will become I'm sure a much appreciated keepsake. I made a similar one for a christmas present using the letter B.
    Saw your J on MIM and stopped for a closer look. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just as sweet as can be - lovely for your young grand daughter. Love it and I saw it MIM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really lovely piece of work & I'm not suprised Jenna's Mum likes it - plus it's going to be something that Jenna will appreciate as she grows up; especially her's made by Grandma.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautifully decorated J! I've just got myself a box of gesso, but haven't really figured put how to use it yet, so thanks for the inspiration! Returning your visit from MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jean,
    I just had one look at your brilliant piece of creativity and it made me your newest follower. Would love it if you follow me too. :-)
    I love the colours on your shabby chic creation.
    Happy crafting and nice to meet you,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. a really lovely idea Jean, am nor surprised Jenna's mum liked it! a very different memento for Jenna, and timeless too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Jean, this is absolutely gorgeous and definitely a creation which Jenna will treasure as she grows. Everything about it is beautiful.

    I hope you are well, your great granddaughter is growing up fast!

    Take care

    Maria xxxxx


    ReplyDelete