my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Blue Birthday

When I made this card I decided to play about with a set of stamps from Just Rite. It includes the stamp for the frame, about four flower stamps that fit  inside it, a kind of collaged label and some sentiments. I also have the set of nested dies made to go with it for cutting the frame, although I was a bit disappointed that it didn't cut out the centre and none of the oval dies have are a good size and shape match.
I picked out this piece of blue card as a starting point and stamped the frame with Versamark ink and embossed it with WOW clear powder. I cut it out using the appropriate die and stamped the flower in the centre with Brilliance Lightning Black ink. Having made sure it was properly dry I coloured it with Promarkers. I wanted to know how well they would work on coloured card, and although I used blue pens on blue card they showed up really quite well. I am fairly new to these markers as some of you who follow my blog regularly will know I generally favour pencils for colouring. So, even though I was fairly happy with the result I thought it would look better with a light background so I set about colouring it with a new Zig pen that I have, called Wink of Stellar.It has a beautifully fine real brush tip and delivers a sparkly white ink, and I think it is available in several colours, I have  the white, and a black one. The sparkle doesn't show in the photo but is lovely in sunlight. Having decided that I quite liked the result of my "play" I need to find something to mount it on. I quite like stamping my own backgrounds but I also have rather a lot of paper stacks that I buy because I like them!!. I chose this one because it is blue, it's from a Paper Cellar pad called Langley Place.I trimmed it to fit my card and highlighted some of the design with a blue pencil and a silver gel pen. I then decided to add some pink ribbon to brighten the whole thing up,wrapping it  around the paper before fixing it to the card.  To finish off I added a die cut greeting using a Britania die and the same blue card as the frame, and a few pink gems .
I am entering this at Crafting When We Can-Floral
                               Craft Room Challenge- Heat Embossing ( the frame )
                               Eclectic Ellapu-Anything Goes
                               Through The Craft Room Door- Anything Goes.
                             
Thank you for taking the time to look and for your kind comments which are much appreciated. Jean

11 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about patterned paper - but it just accumulates with me. This looks very effective with the blues of the image.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same with my paper ....and flit between my own backgrounds and the stack of paper I have lol! Your card is beautiful...the subtle tones are perfect for the floral image. Thank you for sharing with us at the Craft Room. Wishes, Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty, Jean. I really like the effect of the Promarkers on the coloured paper, it's very subtle and delicate. The Zig pen sounds interesting, will have to find one! I can say exactly the same as you about patterned papers. One to use, one to keep tends to be what happens when I buy them!

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card and colours. I with everyone here, about hoarding papers.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty Jean. I am equally disappointed that you can't cut the centre from the Just-rite frame. Sometimes you really need to. I have just been looking at a set of three Wink of Stella pens - gold, silver and clear - for Christmas. I have some Zig water pens and they are great. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card the frame stamp it lovely and your colour choices just so pretty. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful creation, Jean! I've been thinking about those Britannia dies...you've convinced me! I'm also your latest follower! Hope you're having fun with our "Anything Goes" challenge. Thanks for playing with us.
    Asha - Eclectic Ellapu DT
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO pretty, Jean, love those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this elegant card Jean. The splash of pink really stands out. Great idea to highlight your backing paper I never think of thing like that.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us at Crafting When We Can Challenges. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jean I love the design, papers, a little bling and your coloring is beautiful! Thanks for joining us this week at Through The Craftroom Door and good luck!
    Kathi
    DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jean, firstly, I'm really sorry for my late comment - I went down with the sickness bug last week, kindly shared by my daughter and grandson! The embossed frame is beautiful, and the colouring has shown up really well on the blue card. I've not tried the Zig markers but have do admit, I do like the look of them - the white background to the flower looks fabulous. It's lovely to see you over at the CRC this fortnight!

    Take care

    Maria xxxxx

    ReplyDelete