my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Sister's Birthday Card

This is the card that I made for one of my sisters who had a birthday last weekend.All the stamps I used are from a large Chocolate Baroque plate entitled Butterfly Daisy Collage.I first stamped the main image onto white card with Memento Elderberry ink and embossed it with clear EP. I coloured the flowers and butterfly with promarkers, then trimmed the image down and sponged the edge with spun sugar Distress ink. I covered the square base card with a piece of Crafty Individuals backing paper having trimmed it to size using a deckle edge cutter. I stamped one of the corner stamps in the top left hand corner using the same ink and EP as before. I mounted the coloured panel onto purple card and fixed it to the card, and stamped the smaller butterfly just above it. I stamped it again onto white card, coloured it, cut it out and stuck it over the other one with silicone glue to raise the wings slightly. I also added a little pink stickles to the centres of the flowers but it doesn't really show in the photo.

  Having made the card I decided to make a matching bookmark, so I stamped a smaller  image from the same set, masked the top flower and stamped the small butterfly. I then coloured it to match the card and cut the bottom edge to shape,and   sponged the edges.  To finish it I covered the back with a piece of the CI paper and punched a hole and added a purple tassel that I had  saved from an empty perfume bottle.

I am entering this at Make It Monday- Anything Goes
and at Through The Craft Room Door- Anything Goes.

Thank you to all who read this and for your comments, I really appreciate them all.

13 comments:

  1. Very stylish . Love the backing paper and all the images .Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sister is a lucky lady to have received such a lovely card :-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and bookmark, love the images and beautifully coloured.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous stamped in the Elderberry ink & so effective with those colours. The backing paper really allows the Elderberry colour to shine through & I love your bookmark with the idea of the patterned paper to back it.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card!! Love the butterflies and those designer papers. Thank you for joining the TTCRD challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like this stamp Jean. A very pretty card you have made. I'm sure Eve loved it. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so pretty, Jean! The CI paper goes really well with the butterfly image. (One of my favourite papers - I hope they never discontinue it!) I love the matching bookmark too, what a lovely idea.

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the colours and the layout is lovely too. Saw this on MIM xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card, the backgrounds is super as well.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jean wow this is so pretty, I love butterflies.
    Thank you for joining us for our "THROUGH THE CRAFTROOM DOOR" challenge this week and GOOD LUCK .
    Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous Jean, the colours are so very pretty, and look lovely with the background paper. I very often pop over to CB to look at their stamps after I've been to your blog, lol! They do have some lovely ones so I think I might invest in a plate very soon.

    Maria xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jean, this card is exquisite with all the pretty details in the stamp. Cannot believe it is one stamp. Your sister must have loved it. I like the dreamy, flourish corners and everything else.
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jean

    What a beautiful card!

    I love your colour combo and those gorgeous butterflies.

    What a brilliant idea to do a matching bookmark. That way even when the card has been stored into the "must keep" box there is still a reminder of how lovely it was.

    Hope you have a good week.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete