my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Monday 3 February 2014

Purple Bloom

I thought I'd have a break from Christmas cards this week so here is a birthday card that I made for my Daughter in law. This beautiful flower is  from a Chocolate Baroque set of stamps called Breath of Spring. I stamped it with Memento elderberry ink onto white card and coloured it with Promarkers. After trimming it down I inked the edges with shaded lilac Distress Ink.I mounted it onto some mirri card which I think is called gunmetal, a sort of dark silver colour, leaving a narrow border, and then onto mauve pearl card. The base card is a 5"x 7" folded card blank, and I used a stencil called Quatrefoil from The Crafters Workshop and a duster brush with the lilac DI to add some interest to opposite corners. I wrapped some matching ribbon round the folded edge and added a bow, and then stuck the image panel on. The sentiment stamp is from the same CB set and I stamped it with the elderberry ink, and mounted it to match. This is fixed with foam pads to overlap the flower panel. I used the tiniest snippet of the mirri card to cut a butterfly with a Cheery Lynne die, I just managed to fit it on so that it cut properly. Using another die from the same set I cut the solid butterfly to go behind it using some very old shiny paper that has a kind of interference effect of changing colour when it's moved. I have a little stack of this paper some of which is bright colours and some like the bit I used here are pale. I don't know why it has stayed unused for so long except that it is quite thin and I wasn't sure what to use it for, but it is perfect for these butterflies.

As I have used up some snippets for the butterfly and the sentiment pieces I am off to join in the fun at The Pixies Snippets Playground. They are a lovely bunch of friendly playmates there, if a little mischievous at times. All you have to do to join in the fun is to use up some of those snippets of card that we all seem to collect.

I am also entering at Great Impressions Challenge - Floral Images
                       
                               Crafter's Cafe Challenge- Use Ribbon and /or Lace in Your Design

20 comments:

  1. Jean, what a beautiful card! I love that flower and the ribbon is just the perfect touch! Thanks for joining us at Crafter's Cafe this week!
    Blessings,
    Zella

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a perfectly colored up card!! Love the purple!! I have blog candy...I hope you can join in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, love the flower image!! Along with the added butterfly!! Thank you for joining the challenge at Great Impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that flower and the butterfly too. The colour is fab. I have a leaning towards purples and mauves right now. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done Jean. Nice layout and wonderful colouring. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful Jean - super colouring and I adore the butterfly - and that luscious bow!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful card Jean, and I love the colours you have used. The background stencil works really well, and the gunmetal mirri is just a little different and complements that gorgeously coloured image perfectly, and then thst pretty butterfly and ribbon to finish. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely stamp Jean, and such a pretty card you have made with it. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A stunning flower stamp, its a beautiful card.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purple is my absolute favorite color!!! This is SO soft and gorgeous--a fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions! HUGS and have a great rest of the week! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fabulous, my first love are flower stamps and this is a stunner, beautiful choice of colours and the strange thing is I have just bought a stencil exactly like the one you have used but from Memory Box.
    Thanks for your coment.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a gorgeous card! The coloring is fabulous and I like that shiny frame!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Beautiful card Jean, your colouring is gorgeous on such a detailed stamp. I'm a purple fan so I love the colours, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful, beautiful card Jean, so soft and gentle. I've been taking a peek at your other makes and they are gorgeous and so elegant. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog, especially my crochet. You are so kind.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jean, this is a fabulous stamp, and you have colored & used it so wonderfully well on this beautiful card. Your colors were so soft & soothing, and absolutely loved the way you used this pretty stencil for your background. That butterfly is stunning, and so right with the lovely flower. Your DIL is sure to love you for this handmade beauty. TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you stamped in the elderberry ink, it's such a nice choice over the black. Your card is so pretty thanks for joining us at Great Impressions this month

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card. Am sure your DIL will be delighted with it. Thanks for sharing it at the Playground

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jean, thanks for your visit. That droplet stamp is really awesome, stamps out so crisp & sharp. Ryn has several very nice stamps. And many more that I don't have --- yet! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful flower and the soft stenciling is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete