my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Monday 25 August 2014

A Trio For Rudolph Day

 Well here we are another month has flown by and it is 25th August, which means it is Rudolph Day at Stamping For Pleasure. The challenge as always is to
make at least two christmas items, it doesn't have to be cards.
While I was shopping this weekend I spotted the latest copy of Simply Cards and Papercraft  magazine and with it was this set of christmas stamps and a pad of 6"x 6"papers from BoBunny and I immediately  thought of Rudolph Day and the magazine along with it's free stamps and papers just fell into my shopping trolley. Odd that isn't it !!!
I decided to make small cards with these stamps and started by cutting an A4 sheet of white card to make three cards roughly 4" square. They are not quite exactly square but nearly, and I folded them to make tent style cards. For the first one I stamped directly onto the card using Versafine Olympia Green for the holly and Memento Rich Cocoa for Santa and the greeting. I used a red felt tip pen to mark in the berries and Colour Soft pencils to colour the Santa. I then used a
Pilot gold pen to add highlights to the frame. I'm afraid I made a bit of a mess of one eye but I can promise that it doesn't look quite so bad IRL as it does enlarged on the screen.
For the next one I used some paper from the pad cut to fit the card front and edged it with a gold Krylon pen. I stamped the Santa again on a snippet of white card and fussy cut it out, and mounted it onto a mat cut from another snippet of red satin card with a Spellbinders scalloped circle die. The greeting on this one is this tiny snippet of ribbon left over from last year. I put a little glossy accents on the ends to make sure it didn't fray, but of course it didn't look very pretty so I stamped the tiny holly spray three times onto another snippet of white card and cut them out. I glued one to each end of the ribbon and one to the santa frame, and then added a little red Stickles glitter to the berries.
This piece of green card with the holly printed on it was
the backing in the stamp package and I thought it looked too nice to throw away, so I trimmed it to fit the card and edged it with the Krylon pen. I used the reverse of  the snippet of paper that I used on the previous card to cut the JOY using a Sissix  long die.I made this tree layers thick and coated it with Glossy Accents, sprinkling on a little glitter while it was still wet. The card had a few faint snowflakes on it and I added a few more using Frosted Spruce DI and stamping off some of the ink on scrap paper first. I also added a few green gems to bling it up a bit.
I used a few snippets on the last two so I'll pop over to Pixies Snippets Playground as well as Rudolph Day.
I have another new follower this week so Hi to Liz, I hope you make it back here soon.
A huge thank you to all of my followers, I love to read your comments and will try and to get to visit you too.







26 comments:

  1. Hello Jean

    Wonderful cards, they are all gorgeous. I love the idea of holly on the sides of your ribbon and that
    beautiful piece of holly card.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three lovely cards Jean, and 'snap' I recently bought the magazine with these stamps too. I was going to use mine for Rudolph Day but haven't got round to making them yet as am a bit busy at the moment. I love the holly as a corner swag and the Father Christmas in the frame looks great with the gold highlights. The papers are prettily vintage and the 'joy' with glossy accents sprinkled with glitter is a lovely idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three really lovely cards Jean I have bought this magazine too :) I love the papers that came with them as well..huggles Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all such fun cards, especially the 2 with that jolly Santa face! The greens look so nice on all of them! Nice work on all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are certainly a trio of beauties!

    I had a giggle at just how that magazine ended up in your basket!,,

    The Santa image has such a beautiful vintage look to it...as do those wonderful papers. The third card is lovely...I have yet to try that three layers look but plan to do it soon. It is cropping up on blogs lately and always looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three wonderful cards, and such a jolly Santa! Not surprised he found his way into the basket! Beautiful papers too - love the simplicity of the last one - very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three fantastic Christmas card, loved how the magazine just popped into the shopping basket.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good use of the free stamps and card Jean. You've made three lovely cards. I particularly like the holly corner on the first one. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab trio and well done for using so many snippets including the packaging! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah Jean loving the cards .. getting all ready with three - you are as good as Di!!
    I love your card down below.. must admit that square die is beautiful!! thanks so much for popping over, Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grat use of snippets Jean and such beautiful Christmas cards. That magazine was so worth buying - well done!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at you, Jean with 3 beautiful Christmas cards! Love that Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really lovely traditional christmas cards xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How strange - a copy of Simply Cards and Papercrafts fell into my shopping trolley too this month! ;-) I love what you've done with the free gift. Lovely cards. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous Jean. I love the stamps and the papers and what you have done. I may just have to look for this magazine now.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jean, all 3 of these were just lovely, but I will 'fess up that #1 is my fav because of the pretty holly. I enlarged and didn't see any eye problems either! Wonderful coloring with the pencils, and ditto on the krylon gold. I have difficulty with these pens drying out too rapidly, plus I can't control the evenness as you did with that great edging. I don't understand how these magazines can just leap into shopping carts as they do, but I've had it happen - so I know it is true!!! (stamps can do the same thing so be very wary of that!). I'm always blown away by the UK magazines having such extra goodies in them. I'd go broke buying magazines. The way you've used the supplies on #3 was brilliant. The layered sentiment with the sheen really makes that card stand out very well...3 beautiful cards for your Christmas stash. TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jean

    I'm playing catch up after returning from holiday - hence the late comment!

    So sorry I "MADE" you buy a magazine! Actually I'm not . . . look at the lovely cards you've made with the free stamps and papers! Well done!

    Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.

    Hugs, Sarn! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very fun designs Jean.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great use of the freebies that fell into your basket. He looks a nice jolly Santa. Off to see here I can get a gold Krylon pen now. That 's the trouble with reading how peeps make their cards . You find they have goodies you don't! Hugs Mrs A,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there Jean

    I thought I already followed your blog .. .. but looking now it appears I don't!

    I have made amends there!

    Loving your Christmas makes .. .. not much bigger than my teeny, tiny Tuesday makes!

    Great idea to use the packaging on your projects too! Definitely to lovely to throw away.

    I hope you had a good weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dropped by from Darnell's blog. This is a very pleasant surprise. Love all of the cards I see on your blog. The three for today are gorgeous. Love that they are "old" fashioned looking and even vintage with a modern touch. No favorites I'm afraid. I like all three. Am now following. - Jim

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Jean

    I've just e-mailed you. Hope your receive it.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jean. Re Mermaid. If you follow the link to Poppy Stencils the Mermaid is on offer right now! It really is lovely. AND you NEED it!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such sweet, joyful cards... they kind of made me feel grounded amongst all the things that we are going on with our settling into our new apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous snippets Christmas cards, Jean! Everyone loves Santa! I really swooned over that first one with the holly!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete