my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Friday 21 August 2015

Musical Butterfly

This card was made with the Butterfly Challenge in mind where the theme is  Butterfly + W for Washi tape. I have said before that I have never used washi tape and don't even have any, but while looking for something else the other day I found this Tim Holtz tissue tape which I guess is more or less the same thing. It was hidden away at the bottom of  a drawer and I had completely forgotten I had it. Goodness only knows how long ago I bought it. Having found it I decided I could enter the challenge after all. As the tape has a musical theme I chose this Chocolate Baroque stamp to make the card. It was stamped onto a Snippet of white card with Memento Tuxedo black ink and coloured with Promarkers. I drew over the swirly lines with a gold gel pen and painted the bubbles with Art Quest Sparkling Pastelles pearlescent paint palette.Having done this I used a Li'l Inker stitched rectangle die to cut it out and while it was still in the die I sponged a little Broken china DI around the edge. I matted it onto a snippet of glittery orange card that had been saved from a purchased card. This was also cut with a stitched rectangle die.The base card is a white 6" square and I sponged the edges very lightly with the same blue ink. I stuck two pieces of the tape across the center of it leaving a small gap between. I found some narrow blue ribbon to bring out the blue in the butterfly wings and used it to fill the gap.  I fixed the image panel in place slightly to the left hand side and stamped the Chocolate Baroque birthday greeting in the top right hand corner. I stamped another butterfly from a different Chocolate Baroque set onto a small snippet of white card and coloured it to match the main image, and then fussy cut it out by hand. I used a double ended tiny stamen coloured with a  black marker to make some antennae and glued them to the back of the butterfly before sticking it to the card with gel glue and adding two brown gems to the body.

I am entering this at The Butterfly Challenge - Butterfly + W for Washi Tape
                                  Pixies Snippets Playground - Use Snippets
                                  Stamping Sensations - Use Stamps and Dies

Thank you all for taking time to visit here today and for your comments which are all really appreciated.

Jean

19 comments:

  1. What I really like about this card is how beautifully everything coordinates! The colors, the music theme, and the tissue tape all combine for one great card! I love the vintage image and all the detail work you put into embellishing it to make it your own! Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Jean, considering you had no washi tape! The tissue tape (which I'm sure is just another name for washi tape) and the stamp go together perfectly and your design and the colours are gorgeous.

    Funnily enough I have a roll of the very same tape. I think I've used it once. I probably bought it at around the same time as you got yours! I seem to recall it came in a pack of two and the other roll had a design of dictionary paper. I must have that one lurking in a drawer somewhere as well! Don't think I've ever bought any washi tape, though I have a couple of rolls which came free with a magazine but I've not used it. However, your lovely card has inspired me to have a go with the tissue tape again, if only I can find it!

    Oh, almost forgot to say thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month.

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on finding the TH tape. Works for washi in MHO! Also a perfect pairing of the stamped image with this washi border too. Like all the soft colors that you've added in to make such a pretty card, and of course, the gorgeous butterfly perched down in the corner! Happy Wkend, and TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely, Jean and I like the musical note to it, literally. Lol.

    Very posh card,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you designed this card Jean, the tape looks super as a background feature. Its realy beautiful and the colours look lovely.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jean - perfect co-ordination here and a fabulous card. I love the tissue tape you used (and am sure it's just washi tape by another name). Somewhere on my blog hopping I spotted that some clever person had made their own washi tape, using the surgical tape that nurses use when patching you up with gauze swabs after blood tests. They'd just stamped a design over it and the result was great. I know I have some in our medicine cabinet so must try and have a play!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really beautiful card Jean and I love the combination of the CB stamp with the TH musical note tape and the blue and orange colours are so pretty together and what a gorgeous extra butterfly too. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean this is really lovely. What a great use of the TH. tape and the butterfly stamp with the gramophone could have been made together. Love the colour combination. Thankyou for fluttering by my challenge. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful card Jean. I love the music background and your CB stamp fits perfectly.
    A beautiful combination.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful card, Jean! gorgeous colours, perfect colouring and so elegant! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FAB card. Love the image and everything about it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jean, I'm a bit late but I was pretty preoccupied with our little family get-to-together at our house yesterday. Well done on the washi tape Jean. I had several of them but never used them until mrs.A 's challenge made get them out of the drawer and guess what now I like them.
    Your card is very pretty and so nice your stamp matches the washi tape.
    Hugs Veerle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on being picked by Di this week Jean. Your card really is lovely. I am very pleased to be your new follower. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jean,
    wow I nearly missed this gem of a card.
    Great designing, and a wonderful stamped image too.
    Beautiful butterflies, and brill colouring too.
    That tape is a real find I love it.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jean,
    I noticed your time is wrong on your comments.
    You need to go and change it to the British time if you want, as if you schedule a post it won't go out at the right time.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jean what a fabulous card I love that stamp its so pretty and your colours and colouring are lovely a perfect card and the tissue tape looks just right with your design Enjoy your week Love and hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recognise that stamp Jean. I love it. Super colour scheme and everything ties together perfectly. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful card! So glad you found your TH tape! Isn't it fun when you find something in your stash that you forgot you ever bought! When we moved last summer, I found all kinds of goodies when I was packing! Beautiful stamp and beautiful butterfly! Thank you for joining Mrs. A's Butterfly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty card Jean, I do love the butterfly
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete